Apr 28, 2008

Update

My boat is now sailing and it's qualities are far from those advertised. This is partly because many important details were abandoned by the scammer. Speaking of him, weeks ago I found that his website is quoting part of the last paragraph of one message I wrote. As usual, the scammer took the paragraph out of context in such a manner that it would make readers think that I support him, when I definitely do not.

As you will see, my text is very different from the short quote he extracted:

"This is to send a word of caution with regards to Mr. Aldis Eglajs.

My Catri 27 plans remain incomplete three years after payment. I already had to purchase or do myself many of the drawings and specs. Also, for more then one year he failed to complete a Catri kit shipped to Latvia, causing various problems to the owner, who decided to finish it elsewhere. These are facts.

Then there is data received from reliable sources. It seems that no shipyard or customer ever received a complete set of Catri plans. From about nine shipyards that tried to build Catris, it seems that all those in direct partnership with Mr. Eglajs went bankrupt – including the one featured in last issue’s photos. To the best of my knowledge, there are three shipyards able to build Catris today and none is in direct partnership with the designer or has any agreement with him to sell boats.

In light of these facts and information, the article he wrote to MM’s last issue is at least questionable. For those interested in the Catri, the most relevant points are that Mr. Eglajs has an unsatisfactory business reputation, is not building boats and, as per my own experience, does not deliver plans to satisfaction. At your request, I can send a detailed analysis of the article’s flaws and a list of information sources.

Lastly, I was told of problems down to police level involving Mr. Eglajs. I am curious to know all about it. May I suggest an independent research followed by your own article?

Please note that I remain a Catri fan. The concept is outstanding and, according to all those who sailed one, it is a great boat to have. Sadly, everything indicates that the worse way to acquire a Catri is from or through Mr. Eglajs.

Luiz Schechter"

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi to all with interest about CATRI world and its designer Mr. Aldis Eglajs.
I need to update a few things about my boat and Catri world:
After nine years fighting for finishing my boat in Latvia, finally boat is in my hands here in Spain.
I such amount of time a few but very important thing are done.
Almost all changes about reinforcements, as commented by USA Aegean. Also a much better fiberglass cockpit same way Aegean did in USA.
Today, and with all kind of info about Catri world a can confirm the entries from this blogger:
- Designer is not a real designer.Only a very old man with a brilliant idea.
- Any time a shipyard starting building Catris with Designer ending in tears for customers.
- Any one who wants to finish a Catri need to change a few important points in the boat.

- Any one interested in the project need to avoid Aldis E. intervention or commercial relationship.
Places to build a Catri remaining the same:
PHL Latvia (23, 26, 30)
USA Aegean (26/27)
Brasil Multicascos (27)(with molds but shipyard closed now, I think).
More to came on my blogger (http://alarcas.blogspot.com.es/)
saludos

--
Saludos;
Jose Alarcon